Panopto is the University's multi-media enhancement solution, designed to easily record and produce educational materials, which can be made available online for students to review in their own time and place of their choosing.
The University of Sheffield reviewed research on lecture recording and highlighted the following benefits:
- Many students report that they find it much easier to learn material on a course with lecture capture (Traphagan et al., 2009)
- Students are eager to be able to use lecture capture to be able to review course content at a later date to enable them to clarify difficult concepts (Davis et al., 2009)
- Students who use supplemental learning have higher final marks (Von Konsky et al.,2009)
- Students are able to spend less time taking notes and are able to engage with the course material rather than focusing on taking notes (Karnad, 2013)
- The majority of students access lecture recordings in order to clarify areas that they did not understand from the lecture (Song et al., 2006).