Exam Results and Transcripts - Frequently Asked Questions


 We have compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions relating to exams and transcripts.



 How do I get a copy of my transcript?

Your transcript is available to view, print and download from eVision.  If you want to download a transcript, select print and then print to PDF.  You can then save your transcript in an electronic format.

 What is the pass mark for a module?

The pass mark for an undergraduate module is 40%.  If there is more than one element, you must have submitted assessment in all elements to pass, although you do not need to have achieved a mark of 40% in each element.

If you are undertaking an accredited programme there may be programme-specific regulations.  This information will be provided in your programme handbook.  It is essential that you make yourself familiar with the necessary requirements to pass each module you undertake.

 I want to appeal against my result
Any appeal must be made within two weeks of the publication of the result or decision you wish to appeal.  The form and supporting evidence should be submitted to the Gateway at either City Campus or St Peter’s.  The Academic Appeals Procedure outlines the policy and process for lodging an appeal.  Impartial advice on the academic appeals procedure may be sought from the Academic Registry, or from the Student Union.  
 If there is a problem with my marks, who do I contact?

You should contact the Module Leader if you have any problem with your mark.  If they are unavailable you can either contact the Academic Registry directly, or log-in to Compass to log your query and this will be directed to the relevant people.

Faculty of Arts and Creative Industries


Faculty of Business Law and Tourism – Business programmes


Faculty of Business Law and Tourism – Law programmes


Faculty of Business Law and Tourism – Tourism programmes


Faculty of Computing Science


Faculty of Engineering and Advanced Materials


Faculty of Education – Social Science programmes


Faculty of Education – Culture programmes


Faculty of Education – Combined Studies programmes


Faculty of Health Sciences and Wellbeing – Biosciences programmes


Faculty of Health Sciences and Wellbeing – Nursing and Health   programmes


Faculty of Health Sciences and Wellbeing – Sport and Env programmes


Faculty of Health Sciences and Wellbeing – Psychology programmes


Faculty of Health Sciences and Wellbeing – Pharmacy programmes


 What is compensation?
Where a undergraduate student has failed up to 20 credits, these can be compensated providing that the student has:
  • Achieved at least 35% in the module concerned;
  • Submitted all assessments for that module
  • Has an average mark across all other modules at that Stage of at least 45%

Further compensation can be allowed at the discretion of the Assessment Board up to a maximum of 40 credits. 

Some professionally accredited programmes may not allow compensation.

Compensation is not permitted on postgraduate taught programmes.

 I have a compensated pass in a module but think i can do much better. Can I have an opportunity to improve the mark?
Unless there is a professional requirement for the degree programme you are undertaking (e.g. LLB) you will not be allowed to be reassessed in modules which have been passed by compensation.
 I am an overseas student and I have been asked to repeat modules. How will this affect my visa?
You should contact the International Student Support Team for guidance.
 Can I move on to the next stage and take the failed modules alongside my new ones?
You may be able to trail up to 20 failed credits into the next stage at the discretion of the Programme Assessment Board.
 Can I have an opportunity to improve my mark?
No, once you have achieved a passing mark (including pass by compensation) you cannot retake a module.
 I have failed some modules but have not been allowed to undertake reassessment and have been advised that I must withdraw from the programme. Why can't I have another attempt?

There are a number of reasons why the Programme Assessment Board may take the decision not to allow any further attempts at a module. For example you may have reached the maximum period of registration or had the maximum number of attempts at a module.

In some cases this might be due to insufficient academic progress or poor engagement with the programme.  In these cases, the Programme Assessment Board may decide that it is not in your best interests to continue with your studies. 

 My transcript indicates I have been referred in one or more modules and I don't understand what the module code means?
If you see an ‘R’, ‘RX’, ‘RM’ or ‘D’ against your overall module mark on the transcript of results this tells you that you are referred / deferred and you will therefore need to undertake reassessment.

The column headed ‘Grade’ will say ‘R’, ‘RX’, ‘RM’, ‘D’, ‘N’, ‘NM’ OR ‘NX’ – this tells you element of assessment you need to retake.  There may be times when you have one of these grades against an element of the module, but a passing decision against the overall module (i.e. you might not have achieved a pass mark in all elements of assessment but overall have a module mark of 40).  If this is the case you do not need to repeat that element.

 Module decision codes

D         Deferred
F          Fail and Repeat Module with Attendance
FF        Fail, Cannot Repeat Module
N         Non- submission
NM      Non-submission with Mitigation Accepted
NX       Non- submission with Mitigation Rejected
P          Pass
PA       Pass via APA
PC       Compensated Pass at Programme Board Level
PR       Compensated Pass at Module Board Level
R         Referred
RC       Referred but Compensated at Component Level
RP       Referred but Compensated at Component Level
W         Withdrawn from Module

 I have been given in-year referrals to take in Semester 2. Can I delay these until the Summer?
Yes, you can apply to take in-year referrals at the normal end of year point but we would suggest you seek advice from your Programme Leader.  Forms and guidance can be found here.
 What happens if I fail any of the modules I have been referred in?
Any modules not passed during the referred period will normally be required to be taken as repeat modules during the next academic year.  You are allowed a maximum of four attempts at any module.  If you fail a module at the final attempt, you will not be able to continue on your programme of study.
 What mark will i receive for the referred assessment I am taking?
Unless stated otherwise in your programme specific regulations, the maximum mark for an element taken for a second time is capped at the pass mark of 40%.  For students undertaking a third attempt the module will be capped at 40% or fourth attempt, the component and overall module mark is capped at 40%.
 I am a final year student and would like to know how my classification was arrived at

An Honours degree is awarded on the basis of a weighted mean average of the marks for the best 100 credits obtained at Stage 2 and the marks for the best 100 credits at Stage 3.

These averages are weighted so that the Stage 2 marks are worth 20% and the Stage 3 marks are worth 80%.  A final mean average is obtained on the basis of this weighting and this determines the degree classification.

The Honours Degree classification bands are as follows:

First   class Honours

70% or above

Second   class Honours, Upper Division

60% - 69%

Second   class Honours, Lower Division

50% - 59%

Third   class Honours

40% - 49%

 Where a result is borderline (48-49.99%, 58-59.99% or 68-69.99%), the higher classification will be awarded if sixty or more Stage 3 credits are at the higher level.

Worked example of UG Degree Classifications Calculations.

 I am a Postgraduate student and would like to understand my award

For a Masters degree students will undertake 180 credits.  The classification is awarded on the basis of a weighted mean of all credits.


70% or above


60% - 69%


50% - 59%

Where a result is borderline (58-59.99% or 68-69.99%), the higher classification will be awarded if the student's dissertation or project mark is at the higher level.

For students undertaking a Postgraduate Diploma (120 credits) the award will be classified as above.  If a diploma or certificate (60 credits) is awarded as an interim award where the student was enrolled on a programme with an intended award of masters, this will not be classified.

Worked example of PGT Degree Classification Calculations.

 I have been awarded an Ordinary Degree, however there is no indication of the classification

To be awarded an Ordinary degree you will have passed 300 credits, with at least 60 credits at Stage 3.  An Ordinary degree is not classified and is without honours.